Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Finally!

Well, I finally have gotten some internet connection here in CA. 1 hour of free wi-fi, If I sit downstairs in the lobby. How generous of them! (Note: Sarcasm)

I got up at *Gasp- is there even such a thing* 4AM on Sunday morning to catch out 6:30AM flight.
Once we got on the plane it was goodbye, Raleigh,


Hello California!


And, Hello beautiful views from our room!


Amazing!


I can see where they get the whole, "Sheraton- Harbor Island" name. Duh.


My dad and I ended up spending the rest of our day walking around the area and seeing what all was around. And guess what?? There isn't too much around at all. We literally are on a secluded area with nothing around. If we want to go anywhere we have to take a shuttle, bus, and trolley, or taxi. So there are 2 restaurants on the island, one AMAZING super local, hole in the wall, deli where we have eaten lunch for the past two days. There is also a nice, much more upscale, restaurant with amazing dinner selections. Here is what I had for my first dinner in San Diego.


Not the best picture, but almost certainly the BEST salad I have ever had. So delicious in its simplicity! All it was made up of was a (huge) bed of spinach leaves, super crisp and crunchy, Sliced and perfectly sweet/ripe strawberries, the creamiest goat cheese I have ever had, and slivered almond bits. All of this was lightly covered in a great, tangy, balsamic vinaigrette. I was devouring this salad like I hadn't eaten food since the day I was born.


The next morning (after waking up at 5:30am because I could sleep no longer!) I looked outside our room and:

It was cloudy! It follows me, I swear! It rained in the early part of the morning and then cleared up very shortly thereafter.


So I decided I would take a trip to Old Town- where all the historic and spanish based heritage is located at. So I take the hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the bus downtown, where I get off and catch the "trolley" to Old Town. Now, when I think of a Trolley I think of quaint, nice, small, open-air transportation. This was nothing more than a train. So I was a little let-down, but alas, I got through it.  :)

So once getting off at Old Town, it seems that I missed the beautiful, historic state park. I ended up in one, not so great, part of town. So I was completely uncomfortable walking those streets alone, and almost immediately (after, in fact, searching for "Old Town") decided to go back to the hotel and walk around the area some more for the remainder of the afternoon. More on this trip later, but it does involve a crazy lady talking to herself, then to me (of course! What is it about the crazies always coming up to me!), and a homeless man digging through the trash cans next to me while I was waiting at the bus stop.


I think, that I might just have to suck it up and pay for the expense of a taxi. Normally I wouldn't do this, as I would just take public transportation. But being by yourself, and a young, easy target, tourist girl, I think it might actually just be safest if I splurge on the taxis. What do you all think?

Anyways, so today I am headed to Balboa park where all of the museums are located and there are lots of gardens to explore as well.  I will let you all know how that goes tomorrow.

But here is a taste of what I get to wake up to on a non-cloudy day:




SO beautiful!!!


I die.


More on my further adventures later! Keep tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment